Tuesday, October 10, 2006

I lied today

Scene 1(to set the scene):
At my GP's. I'm sitting with my partner after lunch.. She practices taking my blood pressure: 80/40. She goes, "Wow, Jon, your blood pressure is reaaallyy low. Maybe you should eat more!" And all because I had just one Cornish Pasty instead of combining it with a pie and/or a sausage roll.

Scene 2:
Gp consultation is starting. A patient comes in, and with her, comes the post-prandial gush of sleepiness I always have to deal with in the first hour or two after lunch as I digest my food. She drones on and on, and my eyes, desperately trying to look interested as I try to keep them from looking droopy..."Jon, are you alright?" from my GP all of a sudden.

Great. A dilemma. Options;

1. Tell the truth. Sorry, I was feeling a bit sleepy. And have the patient look at me like I'm some jerk who doesn't give 2 cents about her problems.

2. Which was-

"Er..(Rubbing forehead to conceal my suddenly awake face and frown) I just had a bit of a headache. Sorry doctor.."


Scene 3:
My GP partner going, "You know Jon, you should really eat more. Let me feel your pulse." And my GP going, "Jon I have some paracetamol and some ibuprofen here. You sure you don't want some?"

No comments: