Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Palliative care 1

On the oncology unit, talking to this elderly man with prostate ca and bilateral legs full of fluid(oedema). Not a nice time, as he became emotional more than once as we discussed his condition. Hearing about the puddle of fluid that burst out of his leg every morning from the swellings that had formed overnight.

As I was about to leave, I patted him on the back. "See you around then."

He looked me straight in the eye. Soberly, while pointing upwards, he said "I'll be up there soon, just so you know."

Silence for a while.

"Erm, I'm sure you'll be around a while yet..." I started to say.

"What do you mean?", he cut in. "They're transferring me to the medical ward on the 5th floor, aren't they?"


....sometimes, I really don't know where to hide my face....

No comments: