Friday, May 04, 2007

Confession is good for the soul

6 weeks to go. I don't generally whinge, but then again, its my blog and I can say what I want to (which is why I'm sure 90% of people blog in the first place!).

I'm stuck on a ward round facing questions by my cardiology consultant while others are busy whaling away at their books for the finals. Thats unfair. Thats also the good and the bad thing about getting busy medical rotations last thing in the year. Answering about 50% reliably and guessing my head off at the others, desperate to prove IMU didn't churn out failures.

Still having difficulties listening to the heart sounds with a stethoscope. Why can't people breathe less noisily? And why can't people on a busy ward make less noise so I can hear better?

Nearly gave someone a hematoma from venepuncture today. Still adjusting to the vacutainer system instead of the good old syringe and needle. Actually I'm just not getting enough practice. But its exams.....and its near the tail end of the year. My fault for not being proactive earlier I guess.

Talking to patients has gotten even harder. Knowing that I won't get 1 hour with each patient has made me more impatient with time. Not good for me, not good for the patients. Still when the guilt kicks in, I'm happy I still force myself to sit tight and listen.

Looking at Xrays has been getting easier since I've started going for the lunchtime radiology meetings. CTs and MRIs are still a headache though. I still have a book to read on the subject, but I think I'll hardly ever be able to get around to it.

Going through all the systems, trying to finish 2 weekly, the main problem, as with most medical students I know, is to recall what I've read the day before. That part of my brain hasn't developed very well it seems. I find it hard to recall, and this far into my education, when things start to pile up, and I'm supposed to know everything there is to know about medicine, its a bit troubling.

And as I type this, we've just finished a house party at our place, and my room smells of cigarette smoke. Cleaning up after everyone is no fun, either, though I suspect most people had an ok night. And we managed to surprise steve, which was the main point. Am looking forward to the bank holiday monday, which means a longer weekend to wind down and get work done.

Faz, Steve and 1/2 of Kofo

No comments: