Saturday, September 10, 2005

clues to an end 1

It is better to serve than to be served....
Service above self....

So many references to service, so when I was asked to define how a servant should act, I did so without hesitation : A servant is someone who takes orders and obeys them without question.

Well, turns out I was wrong on both counts.

According to Jeremiah 18, a servant has to be moldable and willing to remain in the potter's hand. In other words, I'm not supposed to merely take orders and obey them. Instead, I'm supposed to relate to God and allow my life to be adjusted to Him, so that He can accomplish His WILL thru me. The tough part, the part where I have to respond, is to constantly keep close to Him, and allow my life to be changed by what I see, not changing my life to keep my wants in the picture. It's different from the picture I normally have of a servant DOING STUFF. It's about seeing where God is, and going there.

"Whoever serves me must follow me. Where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me." John 12:26

What do you think?

No comments: