Friday, September 22, 2006

Just came back from playing pool at the docs mess in hospital where we were joined by this paediatric SHO from Pakistan. We had quite a conversation while he was trying to get his shots lined up. Among the stuff we discussed:

"So, how much are all of you paying to study here?" (On the list of Top 10 Questions to ask a Malaysian student)

"Erm, about 16,000 pounds a year."

- stunned silence -

"So how much did you pay to graduate back home?"

"Well, (and he gives an apologetic look) I paid 150 pounds for my medical education back home."

"Actually (he continues), I am very pitying you. How in the world are you going to pay back all that money? I am earning about 2000 pounds a month as an SHO here and I am only saving about 12,000 pounds after working here for 2 years. And do you know now the NHS is paying doctors less and less per year?"

Maybe becos I'm fortunate to have parents and a family that always assures me not to worry about cost whenever I attempt to broach the topic, or because I am heartless enough to forget time and again that I'm being sponsored and cash doesn't just magically appear in Natwest for me, but I've not really sat down and considered that part of the question yet.

But its one to think about nevertheless. Cos in 2 years I'll be graduating. And the big question; stay or go back. And all the other factors to consider. Can't avoid it forever.

At least i won the game.

No comments: