Monday, March 12, 2007

Day 1

The short and long of it: The 3 of us Chinese flatmates have decided to go a week without using any rice in our cooking. Why? Just to prove to ourselves that we can, really.

I started the ball rolling with grand plans to make Welsh rarebit.

Trouble was, I hadn't planned ahead, and when I found out Welsh rarebit was more a supper dish than a substantial dinner, I realised I had to come up with something else. Reasoning that Welsh rarebit involved utilising some beer, I decided to use the rest of the beer with some leftover casserole pork that we had lying around.

Remembering that we had some lettuce that was going bad, I decided to make a salad using some carrots and fried breadcrumbs.Narrowly missing burning the toast and cheese under the grill (which is what Welsh rarebit basically is), I served dinner with lettuce, pasta and beer pork about 1 and a half hours after starting.

Overall, it was a pretty poor start to the week, but because everyone had waited so long for dinner,everything got finished up all right.

No comments: