Saturday, March 10, 2007

Medicine

Last 2 weeks was easily the busiest I've been since coming to the UK. I finally started Medical rotations with the forewarning by HP and Ed that this would be the fun-nest and also busiest rotation of the year. Which is not good news as it stretches out all the way to exams in June....have to keep on my toes, and blog less, possibly.

So there I was, starting with Rheumatology for 2 weeks. Simply put, it was a lot of fun, plenty of gripping moments where I had to decide on the management of MY patient: what tests to do/order, whether I'd missed out anything important before deciding someone was fit to be discharged, interspersed with moments of boredom on looonnnnggg ward rounds.

Things I've particularly enjoyed:

- Finally getting a successful cannula in a patient(!)
- Having the responsibility of managing a patient (well, within limits) in the admissions unit
- Getting used to venepuncture and examining patients
- Brushing up on my Xray, ECG readings and interpretation of blood test results
- Presenting cases, being quizzed about my patient
- Having docs who write "Thank you John" in their notes after a successful clerk-in (ego boost!)

Things I could do less with:

- The responsibility wave that comes crashing down when you wonder if a patient you discharged is actually fit for discharge, even after senior review.
- The realisation that once my name is signed on a test result, case notes, etc means I have been recorded as having participated in the care of this patient, and if something were to go horribly wrong....
- Realising I still have a long way to go to build up my stamina for long days and the ability to make critical decisions even at 6pm after being in since the morning.

Things go downhill a bit from here I'm told, due to the fact that the team I was with gets their students involved the most. Was fun while it lasted though. Back to the books for now, however.

No comments: